funsec mailing list archives

Re: You may already be a terrorist!

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 15:29:44 +0000 (GMT)

None of this works. I'm a geocacher, so I'm often rummaging in hedges,
lurking in woods and other suspicious stuff (but always in a place that I
have a right to be, such as on a public footpath). I know it's suspicious,
because occasionally, people stop and tell me I'm acting suspiciously, and
ask me what I'm up to.

What they should do, if they think I'm acting suspiciously, is call the
police.

And they never do.

I tell them, if I think they're being nice about it, that "I'm on a
treasure hunt". If I think they're being unpleasant, I tell them "I'm
counting the slugs" (and I have a British Slug Survey card to back this
up). In a couple of cases, I've told them "I'm looking for God", and I
offer them a leaflet, which no-one has ever accepted, which is just as
well, because I only have the one leaflet.

Sometimes, they get more difficult, and ask me for my name and address,
which I always offer to give provided they give me theirs first (they
never have).

One pair of dogwalkers got so het up, that one of them got his phone out
and said he was about to call the police. So I said, "OK, you call the
police, and I'll undertake to stand here and wait for them, but only for
one hour, and only if you undertake to stand here and wait also." He
thought about that, and put his phone away. Because he knew, and I knew,
that the police wouldn't turn out for "A guy in a grubby looking coat
walking around in a wood by the light of a torch".

So, unless Americans behave very differently from Brits, I doubt if anyone
is going to actually take any notice of these advisories.