funsec mailing list archives

Give a senator enough rope ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 14:26:23 -0800

Today a Conservative Canadian Senator made a rather bizarre suggestion about
giving convicted murderers a rope, and allowing them to hang themselves.

(No, I’m not kidding.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120201/tory-senators-rope-
hanging-idea-120201/20120201?hub=BritishColumbiaHome&utm_source=ctvbc.ca

http://www.vancouversun.com/Conservative+senator+says+worst+offenders+should
+given+ropes+hang+themselves/6085139/story.html

But he later retracted the statement.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/02/01/senator-pierre-hugues-boisvenu-death-
penalty_n_1246964.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/02/01/pol-crime-bill-senate.html

)

But, never let it be said that we couldn’t look at ideas, regardless of how they
come.  Moral repugnance aside, is this a good idea?  Probably not.

Would it save money?  Only if the murderer felt really, really sorry.  And, isn’t
that what we wanted out of the justice system in the first place?  So, we might
have saved money and wasted a life.

Then again, what if the convicted person was not guilty?  I would think that an
innocent person, unjustly convicted, would be a prime candidate for suicide.  So
then we have a monetary saving at the cost of an innocent life.

And, for those who really don’t feel bad about killing people, they might welcome
the option of getting out of a life sentence.  So we may be reducing the deterrent
effect if we implement the rope idea.

If we’ve got a real psychopath, is it really a good idea to give him a rope, or
poison, or a knife, or a gun, or anything particularly dangerous?  It isn’t too hard
to start to imagine scenarios where he/she/it could do some real damage, even
within the prison.

Maybe we should chip in and buy the Senator a copy of Schneier’s “Liars and
Outliers.”

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
We have met the enemy and he is us.           - Walt Kelly 1913-1973
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade