funsec mailing list archives

Re: Certified security awareness

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:27:41 -0800

Wait, a cert that requires EVERYONE to get it and not just the security
people? Brilliant! They'll make millions.

                                        BB

On 1/31/12 11:45 AM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah wrote:
http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/view/23571/a-call-for-a-new-standard-in-
infosec-training-and-awareness/

" ... the way to do this is via a new infosecurity standard that solely focuses on
training and awareness and is delivered in the work environment"

Now, I'm all for security awareness.  I'm all for *more* security awareness.  I'm all
for *better* security awareness.  I'm all for infosec departments to actually *try*
security awareness (since they say often say, "well, if it was gonna have worked, it
woulda worked by now" and never try it).

But, come on.  A new "standard"?

As the man[1] said, the wonderful thing about computer "standards" is that there
are so many to choose from.

What are we going to certify?  Users?  "Sorry, you have been found to be too
stupid to use a computer at work.  You are hereby issued this non-jailbroken iPad."

No, undoubtedly he thinks we are going to "certify" the awareness materials
themselves.  Good luck with that.

I've been a teacher for a lot of years.  I've also been a book reviewer for a lot of
years.  And I've published books.  Trust me on this: a variant of Gresham's Law is
very active in the textbook and educational materials field.  Bad textbooks drive
out good.  As a matter of fact, it's even closer to Gresham: money drives out good
textbooks and materials.  Publishers know there is a lot of money to be made in
textbooks and training materials.  Publishers with a lot of money are going to use
that money to advertise, create "exclusive" contracts, and otehrwise ensure that
they have the biggest share of the market.  The easiest way to do that is to publish
as many titles as you can, as cheaply as you can.  "Cheaply" means you use
contract writers, who can turn out 2-300 pages on anything, whether they know
about it or not.

So, do you really think that, if someone starts making noise about a security
awareness standard, the publishers won't make absolutely certain that they've got
control of the certification process?  That if someone comes up with an
independent standard that they can withstand the financial pressures that large
publishers can bring to bear?  That if someone creates an independent cert, and
firmly holds to principles and standards, that the publishers won't just create a
competing cert, and advertise it much more than the independent cert can ever
hope to?

After all, none of us can possibly think of any lousy security product with a lot of
money behind it that can command a larger market share than a good, but
independent, product, now can we?

[1] Well, maybe it was Andrew Tanenbaum, but maybe it was Grace Hopper.  Or
Patricia Seybold.  Or Ken Olsen.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Been working on my people skills. I can throw them pretty far now
         https://twitter.com/robotinthewild/status/34707914191011840
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade