funsec mailing list archives

Re: outlaw on the net in the UK

From: <michael.blanchard () emc com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:14:26 -0500

Amateur Action BBS...  Tom was one of the guy's names I believe, not sure how much time he did, but it was actually a
postal inspector that brought the charges up against them...  I thought it was because Amateur Action BBS sent him some
video tapes, but downloading porn was part of it too now that I think of it...  yah, content not suitable to community
standards in Tenn, yet perfectly fine in California... I think it was a ridiculous case if you ask me, but it was
argued that Tom should have known the laws in the location he was sending stuff too either via the board or via the
postal service....

 Rusty and Edie's was a different case, although they came to mind as well...  they were charged with copywrite
infringement by Playboy among others...  Play boy is just as bad a Disney for protecting their IP...

 Yah, those of you that know me well shouldn't be surprised that I know the porn BBS's name and some info about it :-)

Mike B

Michael P. Blanchard
Senior Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
32 Coslin Drive
Southboro, MA 01772