funsec mailing list archives

404 video effect?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 15:43:45 -0800

Saw a mention of another of those amusing 404 pages.  The write-up (
http://techland.time.com/2011/08/02/please-witness-the-best-404-error-page-in-
internet-history/ ) said something about just embedding the video would loose the
effect, and "effect is everything, right?"

So I had a look at http://www.nosh.me/404  (The video seems to be from Vimeo:
http://vimeo.com/26858445 )

And it crashed my computer.  (Firefox 5.0.1 browser, Win7 with as many of the
updates as I've been able to get installed in five days and six reboots.)

No shutdown dialogue, no shutdown sequence.  Black screen, and eventually the
Windows "your system did not shutdown gracefully, do you want to try safe mode"
screen.  *Very* slow startup, although eventually everything did seem to come
back.

Using IE9 under Win7 or IE8 under XP the video just shows an inactive black
rectangle and does not play.  Using FF 3.6.18 under XP the video plays all the way
through: no crash.  Using Safari under Mac OS X Snow Leopard the video plays all
the way through, although it stutters several times, particularly near the beginning.

Given the latter tests, I suspect it isn't overtly dangerous (although I'm running a
full scan with MSE right now, and will do some others later).  But I'm still not
quite willing to have another run at it on the Win7 machine yet ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Half of the wood he burns in the fire; over it he prepares his
meal, he roasts his meat and eats his fill.  He also warms
himself and says, `Ah!  I am warm; I see the fire.'  From the
rest he makes a god, his idol; he bows down to it and worships.
He prays to it and says, `Save me; you are my god.'   - Is. 44:16,17
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade