funsec mailing list archives

Re: Ceterum censeo Windows 7 esse delendam

From: scott <redhowlingwolves () nc rr com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:49:05 -0400

On 07/30/2011 08:27 PM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah wrote:
I am installing a new computer.

It has Windows 7 on it.

On Windows computers, in order to modify or tweak your settings, it is often
easier and quicker to go into the "Documents and Settings" directory, and various
sub-directories, in order to find out what your application settings are, or include
stuff you want the computer to start for you every time it starts up, or to have
tools to hand in the "Send To" dialogue box.

Windows 7 won't let me in to the "Documents and Settings" directory.

Windows 7 won't let me change the permissions on the "Documents and Settings"
directory.

Even though I am, and am running as, administrator.  (Yeah, yeah, I'll try and
figure out how to do that once I get the ^#*!~(&  computer running.  That's why
this posting qualifies as security related.)

Any suggestions?

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
    Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge.  Others just
                        gargle and spit it out.
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade

Try right clicking on the command prompt link in the menus and you can
run it as Admin.