funsec mailing list archives

Telnet? TELNET?!?!?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:02:18 -0700

https://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/16696-FACT-CHECK-SCADA-Systems-
Are-Online-Now.html

"For those who do not know, 747's are big flying Unix hosts. At the time, the
engine management system on this particular airline was Solaris based. The
patching was well behind and they used telnet as SSH broke the menus"

Also:

"contracted to test the systems on a Boeing 747. [...] They segregated this from
the control systems using layer 2 - VLANs. We managed to break the VLANs and
access other systems and with source routing could access the Engine management
systems.

"The response, `the engine management system is out of scope.'"

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
What about the main thing in life, all its riddles?  If you want,
I'll spell it out for you right now.  Do not pursue what is
illusory--property and position: all that is gained at the
expense of your nerves decade after decade, and is confiscated
in one fell night.  Live with a steady superiority over life--
don't be afraid of misfortune, and do not yearn after happiness;
it is, after all, all the same: the bitter doesn't last forever,
and the sweet never fills the cup to overflowing.  It is enough
if you don't freeze in the cold, and if thirst and hunger don't
claw at your insides.  If your back isn't broken, if your feet
can walk, if both arms can bend, if both eyes see, and if both
ears hear, then whom should you envy?  And why?  Our envy of
others devours us most of all.  Rub your eyes and purify your
heart--and prize above all else in the world those who love you
and who wish you well.  Do not hurt them or scold them, and never
part from any of them in anger; after all, you simply do not
know: it might be your last act before your arrest, and that will
be how you are imprinted in their memory!
                           - The Gulag Archipelago, Solzhenitsyn
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade