funsec mailing list archives

Re: If you don't want people to know, then shut up.

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:54:30 -0400

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &
Hannah <rmslade () shaw ca> wrote:
The CIA is complaining that news media and other entities are giving away
information about it's agents and operations.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/07/did-cia-do-enough-protect-bin-
ladens-hunter/39867/

Trouble is, the information being analysed has been provided by the CIA.

If the CIA is being too eager to promote themsleves, or careless in censoring the
material they do provide, is that the fault of the media?

In doing the CISSP seminars, I use lots of security war stories.  Some of them are
from my own work.  Some of them I've collected from the attendees over the
years.  It's not hard to use the story to make a point, but leave absolutely no clues
as to the company involved, let alone individuals.

Hot off the presses: "3,000 Intelligence officials' names, emails
leaked as 'INSA spies'",
http://blogs.computerworld.com/18963/3_000_intelligence_officials_names_emails_leaked_as_insa_spies.

Its funny how these folks don't like to eat their own dog food. Live
by the sword, die by the sword - they made their bed, let them lie in
it.