funsec mailing list archives

Fwd: [SCADASEC] SCADA hack talk canceled after U.S., Siemens request

From: Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 18:20:07 -0700

Ostrich syndrome revisited.

- ferg

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bob Radvanovsky <rsradvan () unixworks net>
Date: Wed, May 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM
Subject: [SCADASEC] SCADA hack talk canceled after U.S., Siemens request
To: scadasec () news infracritical com

Rrrrr-iiiiight...

Excerpted from the article:

"Two researchers say they canceled a talk at a security conference
today on how to attack critical infrastructure systems after U.S.
cyber security and Siemens representatives asked them not to discuss
their work publicly.

"We were asked very nicely if we could refrain from providing that
information at this time," Dillon Beresford, an independent security
researcher and a security analyst at NSS Labs, told CNET today. "I
decided on my own that it would be in the best interest of security
... to not release the information."

"Dillon was not threatened or prevented from speaking. Rather he made
the decision based on the potential negative impact to human life and
the fact that the vendor's proposed mitigation had failed," NSS Labs
Chief Executive Rick Moy said in an e-mail. "ICS-CERT has done a great
job of assisting us with this process and we look forward to Siemens
being able to address the issue for their customers."

To review our usage policy, please visit:
http://www.infracritical.com/usage-scadasec.html

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawgster(at)gmail.com