funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bin Laden death brings malware explosion

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 21:57:44 +1200

Jeffrey Walton wrote:

"With the biggest news in a decade dominating the Internet, it didn't
take long for rogue viruses, Trojans and other malware to mess with
[...]

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/02/6570503-bin-laden-death-brings-malware-explosion

What's funny about that?

It's totally predictable and expected...

What was a tad funnier on that site was this:

   http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/02/6570126-malware-attack-specifically-targets-mac-users

and the presumably/supposedly/whetever "somehwat security expert"
author of the piece above linking to it thus:

   So be extra careful on the Interwebs today, kids. Don't do what I
   did - click on a link that I thought was legitimate, only to be hit
   with a rogue installation of a Windows "Total Security Removal"
   Trojan that flashed fake security alerts and installed itself on my
   computer without my permission.

   I'm working to get if off the laptop right now, and writing this on
   another computer. It's a Mac, but from colleague Rosa Golijan's
   report today, I see that's not safe, either.

Web drive-by malware sites with Windows/Mac browser detection and
serving different pages, or at least the same come-on page (usually of
the "you need to install a new codec/Flash update to play this video"
kind) but with (apparent) OS-appropriate malware was new, what four,
maybe even five?, years ago.

Oh, and auto-installing malware on a Mac -- could be for real (there
are certainly many older (particularly Safari) Mac browser vulns that
could be used for that) but most likely this power user was running
Safari and had the anti-security "autorun signed downloads" setting
enabled (you know -- the setting that even Microsoft was never so
stupid as to put in their browser...).

It's pleasing to see that tech sites assign their most security
conscious and experienced reporters to cover our little corner of the
world, isn't it...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald