funsec mailing list archives

Re: User data stolen in Sony PlayStation hack

From: mark seiden <mis () seiden com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:32:59 -0700

On Apr 26, 2011, at 5:30 PM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/26/sony_playstation_network_security_brea
ch/

This couldn't have happened to a nicer company.  Really.  It just couldn't.

the interesting blurb  from http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/
is

"Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained
the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate,
PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data,
including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password
security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with
respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was
taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or
Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and
expiration date may have been obtained."

so unfortunately, due to password reuse by >20% of users, and the fact that they lost
email addresses, everybody else is screwed too, even companies that are not evil.

"Sony's advisory on Tuesday means that the company was likely storing
passwords, credit card numbers, expiration dates, and other sensitive information
unhashed and unencrypted on its servers."

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
If your protocol is successful, it will eventually be used for
purposes for which it was never intended, and its users will
criticize you for being shortsighted.              - Charlie Kaufman
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade