funsec mailing list archives

Re: Why spam blacklisting isn't going to work anymore ...

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 13:29:14 -0400

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 08:52:58PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
this is a technology choice.  my own choice would be RPZ rather than RBL,
since i'd want to poison an IP address no matter what it's used for, and
not limit it to e-mail as we did with the RBL (now called DNSBL).

I agree with Paul's comments in their entirety, but wish to emphasize
this point in particular.  An IP address emitting spam is declaring
its hostility; it's prudent to presume that it may, at any time,
begin to emit other forms of abuse or attacks.  It's therefore reasonable
to treat it as an enemy -- because it is, and moreover, it's done us
the favor of overtly declaring itself so.

---rsk