funsec mailing list archives

Re: Your Facebook account. Give it to me.

From: Imri Goldberg <lorgandon () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 21:22:08 +0200

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah
<rmslade () shaw ca> wrote:

Any Facebbok app, of course, is allowed to access *all* of your Facebook
information.  There does seem to be a way to limit access of "remote" apps,
but I
don't know how effective that is.

Actually, afaik this is not correct.
When you write a facebook app, you have to specify which permissions you
request on user login.
For a list of their extended permissions see
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/authentication/permissions

For the user, when logging in to the application, a window pops up detailing
which permissions are requested and the user can decline.
Of course, in such cases you will usually not be using the app.
If you were referring to selective blocking of permissions by the user while
still using the app, then you are correct.
(For example, app requests to see my likes. I "install the app", but it
still can't see my likes. Afaik, this isn't possible, but I might be
mistaken on this one).

Cheers,
Imri

--