funsec mailing list archives

Re: Crowdsourced Christmas Cwestions

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:19:12 -0800

Date sent:              Sat, 08 Jan 2011 10:40:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:                   Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>

I mentioned this to Gloria when I got home, and she said that the girls would
have just googled "why is red a Christmas colour?"  So, I did that.

Coca Cola.

Crowdsourcing loses again!

Clement Clark Moore's poem was written in the early 1800s, and, even though it
didn't get popular for another twenty years, the illustrated versions were
enormously popular by the mid-1800s.  Coca-Cola didn't jump on the bandwagon
until early in the 1900s.  Obviously they thought the congruence of colours was a
good marketing match, but they hardly influenced the choice.

The illustrated versions probably emphasized red and white (the poem doesn't
mention a red suit) because of pre-existing identifications with Christmas, and we
are back to holly and the complementarity of red with green boughs ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
There are two ways of constructing a software design: one way is
to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies,
and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no
obvious deficiencies.                               - C. A. R. Hoare
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://www.infosecbc.org/links http://twitter.com/rslade