funsec mailing list archives

Re: California opts out of 4th Amendment

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 22:53:23 +1300

Gary Buhrmaster to Chris Boyd:

I'd like to be able to configure a duress password that would wipe the device when entered :-)

Good idea...

Any product manager out there listening?

8-)

Maybe it's one of those "obvious but patented" ideas?

I believe that at least blackberries have that capability
(10 bad passwords and wipe).

That's not strictly a "duress password".

To me, that term designates a specific feature where a "special
password" is configured such that, if that password is entered instead
of the "correct" one, the device takes that as an indication to "do
something special".

In the case of, say, a house security system, the "something special"
would be to call the monitoring company with the "duress" alarm code
and to otherwise "unlock" things as normal (or perhaps not -- more
sophisticated systems may build in multiple levels of complications
here).  In the case of a mobile computing device the "something
special" may be to disable all radio functions (cell, WiFi, BT),
external ports/buses (USB, unused memory card slots, Ethernet, etc),
disable the power switch function and engage a secure overwrite
procedure on all functioning storage devices.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald