funsec mailing list archives

Shaw "service"

From: Robert Slade <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 17:51:22 -0800

I've had Internet service through Shaw Cable for some time now.

Not today.

Earlier today I found that I was unable to send any email.  I was getting an error that said something about poor
reputation.  Obviously, this would have something to do with sending spam or viruses out, and some blacklist had
tripped a switch somewhere.

Shaw has a bad reputation for spam in any case.  And they don't give you much information.

Anyway, I managed to get a message to them, and even managed to get a call back.

Pointless exercise.  Rowell, who called back, said I was sending spam, said he didn't say I was sending pam, said they
were using a third-party service (senderbase.org), said he hadn't said they were using a third party service, said he
was trying to help, didn't give any help, said they couldn't help me, and said that I shouldn't send email for two
days.  He specifically would not let me talk to a supervisor or anyone who understood what the term "blacklist" meant.

rslade () computercrime org  slade () victoria tc ca  rslade () vcn bc ca
"If you do buy a computer, don't turn it on."     - Richards' 2nd Law