funsec mailing list archives

Free Public WiFi

From: Robert Slade <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:15:18 -0700

OK, maybe this is way old news for a lot of you, but I'd never come across it.  I've always seen "Free Public Wifi," of
course, especially in airports.  (In fact, I'm sitting in YVR right now.  Oddly, I *don't* see "Free Public Wifi" right
now, although someone is advertising "Drew's 17inch laptop.")  I've never tried to connect to it, of course: I *do*
know the difference between "Unsecured wireless network" and "Unsecured computer-to-computer network."  I've always
vaguely wondered if there were some great conspiracy of air travelling blackhats who were trying to sniff credentials
in airport lounges and gate areas.

However, I suppose this *must* be a pretty old story, since, now that I think of it, I haven't being seeing as much of
"Free Public Wifi" these days.  (And, I suppose, if I forget to turn off wireless some time in a hotel or classroom
when I'm wired in, I'll be spreading YVR_PUBLIC ...)

Story on NPR:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130451369

Listen to NPR interview (I'm not keen on them calling it a virus, even if that gets somewhat cleared up):
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=130451369&m=130458685

transcript of interview:
 http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=130451369

rslade () computercrime org  slade () victoria tc ca  rslade () vcn bc ca
"If you do buy a computer, don't turn it on."     - Richards' 2nd Law