funsec mailing list archives

Re: "Zuck" mail?

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 14:25:39 -0500 (EST)

i don't know how to be in the business facebook is in without an
error rate which when multiplied by their transaction volume and
customer base size does not result in unwanted bulk e-mail.

Quite so.  But there is no need for the mail to be egregious ads.
There is no need for it to be as easy as it is to spam those ads to
your whole address book.

what advice -- useful, pertinent, realistic advice -- can we give to
facebook?  i'm asking a serious question, because the people i know
there would listen if we weren't equating them reactionarily to
childporn spammer filth.

I'm not _equating_ them.

Unfortunately, I don't have much that I suspect is actually useful to
say.  Really, the only way for them to stop spamming is to, well, stop
spamming: stop sending those damn unsolicited ads.  This means killing
off their invite-a-friend (mis)feature, though, which is why I doubt
it's a useful thing to say: I don't think that will happen, even though
_I_ can't see what's wrong with letting people who want to invite
others do it by sending the invitation themselves, however they find
appropriate.

What I saw mentioned on the list, about not letting unconfirmed signups
do _anything_, that would quite likely help.  It wouldn't _stop_ the
spam, but it would certainly reduce its level, probably drastically - I
don't know enough about the way fb works to more than guess, but that's
my guess.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org