funsec mailing list archives

Re: 2011 Security Predictions?

From: "Hubbard, Dan" <dhubbard () websense com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 15:53:48 -0800

Some of my more serious ones from my ramble at ISOI this year...

* Security researchers will continue some transition to non-security companies as they build up research expertise to
protect crown jewels
* Security research will be more focussed in key areas that are relevant to customers, their company, or sector. eg.
more research into specific attacks versus Trojan du jour
* Renewed focus on threat models
* Security companies build out non-security capabilities in order to get users co-operate. EG: how do you convince iPAD
owners to install config profiles and apps ?
* Security companies will continue to try and figure out freemium models and content-plays but will struggle with the
privacy issues and irony of it all
* Blah Blah Blah, Social, Mobile, Cloud, blah blah blah
* More "bad" apps will be released for iPhone, Facebook, and Android

New catch phrases for 2011....you heard them hear first :).

* "Fail whale is the new reboot"
* "Red is the new white"
* "Securidigm"... this is the year of a new security paradigm
* "Tivot" ...the act of pivot'ing ones technology to match a business pivot
* "Social Pharg"... a clique within the social graph ...see pharg...
* Chowdsourcing...crowdsourcing from / in China

My Xmas list that are getting close to reality...

* zero startup time / reboots
* 20 hours of battery life
* good mobile reception
* more quality cons and less quantity
* online streaming con's with good quality