funsec mailing list archives

Re: Inmate E-Mail (someone guessed right)

From: "Justin Scott" <admin () dtdns com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 13:31:10 -0500

I bet its a challenge to market to prison populations
as well as jails.

Most of the jails they have approached like the idea but are waiting to see
how the first deployment goes.  If they can get the inmates and families to
use the private electronic messaging system then it should cut back on their
postal mail load.  Many of the jails have to pull extra staff from other
places to process the postal mail, so a reduction should allow them to
reassign those people to normal operational duties rather than opening and
checking mail for contraband.  So far it seems like a win for everyone, but
time will tell I suppose.

I'd be a little interested in how you prevent signups
from non prisoners who are going to use this as a spam
launch, or try to.  Or how you migrate ex-prisoner mail
out to regular mail once they return to society, if they
wanted to.  Interesting operational details would be fun
to learn some time.

Since they're in jail and on kiosks that the company installed, we have
pretty solid control over who can get to the inmate's interface.  Once an
inmate is released we deactivate their account so it can't be used by
someone else at the jail.  On the public side, you can only connect with an
active inmate to send messages to.

I suppose I should clarify that we're not giving the inmates an e-mail
address like you would find on a public SMTP-based mail server.  It's a
closed, private electronic messaging system more akin to what you'd find on
a dating website (all of the messages are exchanged through the website;
only the initial invitation to join is sent via standard e-mail).

-Justin