funsec mailing list archives

Re: Colorado Supreme Court: Using a Stolen Social Security Number is Not Identity Theft

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 19:04:15 -0500

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com> wrote:
Did anyone actually read the ruling?
They're basically saying a SSN# isn't an identity.

Given that SSN#'s aren't actually unique in the population, they're, you
know, right.
Expand, please.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:52:03 PST, "Tomas L. Byrnes" said:

While I would never advocate criminality, it would be poetic justice if
the SSIDs of all the justices who voted in favor of this SSIDs were
posted on some website used to sell such data to those looking for
"clean credit".

After all, it is no big deal, according to them.

My reading of it is that they didn't think it was "no big deal", it was
that the law *as written* didn't make it actually *illegal*.  In cases
like
that, don't complain about the judge, complain about the legislative
body
that wrote the flawed law.
Its funny how Judges will "legislate from the bench" when it suits
them or their keepers (or fraternity brothers, or college buddies, or
former law partners, or those making campaign contributions, etc)....

Jeff