funsec mailing list archives

Re: sci.crypt replacement?

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 14:53:20 -0400

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 12:12 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 11:48:18 EDT, Jeffrey Walton said:

The *last* result was the group sci.crypt.

Why in the world would anyone want to use a 12-member "suitable
replacement" named "Science and Cryptography" when a group with deep
usenet tradition exists? Is this more SEO bullshit? Or just search
provider bullshit?

There's a lot of Google Groups with delusions of grandeur.  For instance, one
famous troll claims to have the biggest most influential security group around.
"Internet Bridge Troll" comes to mind
(http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1926079). "Steve Jobs owns a PC" is
hilarious.

It's possible that the search engine is merely heavily biased towards http://
resources as opposed to news:// references, and if sci.crypt is archived in a
lot of places, no single reference was heavily referenced enough to pop to the
top of the list.
I really miss a quality news feeds from a university. When I went
looking for a replacement (for example, Forte's Agent Premium
Newgroups), I was told the only guarantee was a 30 day retention.

Jeff