funsec mailing list archives

Re: The Economist, cyber war issue

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 17:15:07 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: funsec-bounces () linuxbox org [mailto:funsec-bounces () linuxbox org]
On Behalf Of Tomas L. Byrnes
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 5:08 PM
To: rMslade () shaw ca; funsec () linuxbox org
Subject: Re: [funsec] The Economist, cyber war issue

That signed first edition wouldn't happen to be the one I lent to a
co-worker and never got back.

You do know Winn is on the ThreatSTOP advisory board, right?

[Tomas L. Byrnes] Should have put a ;-) after the allusion to my missing
first ed of TC.

I actually spoke to Winn about this this morning, and his take on the
whole thing is that they miss the point, which he briefed NATO and the
UN on in 1995, that you

1: Can't regulate offensive tools in CyberSpace, since that would
include things like compilers; without completely killing the patient
you're trying to save.

2: In this case, defense is actually the stronger form of war, if it is
collective.

Expect a letter of response from Winn to the Economist Editor, hopefully
they will publish it.