funsec mailing list archives

Re: I *told* you software forensics was worthwhile ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:41:50 -0800

Date sent:              Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:31:58 -0400
From:                   David M Chess <chess () us ibm com>

Oh, the content?  Sounds mildly interesting, and I'd give odds that the
paper makes it sound significantly more powerful and scientific than it
actually is..

Unfortunately, true.  When you get down to the details, he is really just talking
about fingerprinting the modules that most kits are turning out.

I *do* think that actually finding some fingerprints of the authors would be
interesting, but nobody seems to be moving in that direction with any speed ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
There are no *printed* instructions, but I found a CD-ROM called
`How to Set Up Your Computer.'                         - Dan Piraro
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://www.infosecbc.org/links http://twitter.com/rslade