funsec mailing list archives

Re: iPhone 4 cursed?

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () hicks-net net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 00:40:03 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 09:36:32 +0900
From: Peter Evans <peter () ixp jp>
To: funsec <funsec () linuxbox org>
Subject: Re: [funsec] iPhone 4 cursed?

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:34:40AM -0400, The Security Community wrote:
The string of woes have been so striking that some have sought
alternative explanations, including the notion that the phone may
simply be jinxed. One theory focuses on the number four.

      That is because  4 is read as "yon" or "shi" (ichi ni san shi go...)
      and "shi" is the same SOUND as "shi" æ­».
      However, most cases its read as "yon" (hi fu mi yo itsu...)

      We also have this sort of thing in Japan. The next door apartments
      are 101,102,103,105,106 on the first (ground!) floor.

      Carparking spaces around the corner, 1,2,3,5.

Same in Korea.  No 4th floor; No Apt xx4...  Four has the same sound as
DEATH so they'll go out of their way to avoid using the number...

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
                                        | Direct:   408.569.7928

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf -- George Orwell

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.  -- Thomas Jefferson