funsec mailing list archives

Dumb/lazy 419ers, again

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 09:48:49 -0800

Nothing particularly novel in this one, but it caught my eye, and, what the heck,
it's Friday in New Zealand ...

Somebody in Spain apparently wants to scam me.

From: "THE BC-49 MILLION LOTTO"<[somebody on a spam
list]@btinternet.com>
Subject: THE BC-49

This caught my eye, because I do live in BC, even though I've never played the
BC49.  (It does exist.)

THE BC-49 MILLION LOTTO
LOTTO PROMOTION
HEAD OFFICE
10 Friendly Street United Kingdom

OK, I don't care how friendly the street is (and is there only one "Friendly" street
in the UK? famous enough that we don't need a town?), and, yes, Her Majesty *is*
the head of state (not government) for Canada, but we do run our own lotteries.
(Yeah, I know, upstart colonials ...)

On behalf of CANADA BC-49 Millions Lottery/Lotto Promotion United Kingdom; I

BC-49 is a provincial lottery.  649 is (one of) the *Canadian* national lottery.

wish to announce you as one of the 7 lucky winners in the Lotto draw held on
3rd January 2010 and was announced March 23rd 2010.

Both BC-49 and 649 draws are held twice a week, Wednesdays and Saturdays.  I
note that neither of these dates were a Wednesday or Saturday.  Draws are
announced immediately, at 9 pm on the date, not ten weeks later.

All 5 winning addresses
were randomly selected from a batch of 20,000 international emails.

Both BC-49 and 649 are standard lotteries: you pay ($1 for BC-49) when you
purchase a ticket.  Email is not involved.  (Although you can, now, buy tickets
online.)

Your
email address emerged along side 6 others as a 2nd category winner.
Consequently, you have therefore been approved for a total pay out of
GBP.680, 000.00 (Six Hundred and Eight thousand British Pounds only).

Interesting.  The top prize in BC-49 is $2M, or about UKP1.25M, second level is
C$75K, or about UKP50K.

(II) Winning 1 2 11 32 36 39 Bonus 12

This does look like the format for winning numbers for BC-49, but has nothing to
do with email  :-)

MR JUBRIL AMEEL
BC49 Claims Office London United Kingdom.
EMAIL:bc49ukclaimofficeuk2010 () gmail com
Contact Tel: + 447924517831

Yeah, right ...

Forward the below listed details for immediate commencement of your payment
process:-

And maybe we're doing some phishing, too ...

Ms Lorraine Cinderella

Yeah, right ...

The Lotto Awards is proudly sponsored by the African/European Union Lotto
Corporation/Microsoft Companies, the Intel Group, Toshiba, Dell computers
Mackintosh and a conglomeration of other international IT companies in order
to promote the FIFA 2010 World Cup to be hosted in SOUTH AFRICA. The lotto
internet draw is organized to encourage the use of the internet and
computers worldwide. We are proud to say that over 200 Million Dollars are
won annually in more than 150 countries worldwide.

The government lotteries are often noted as sponsoring local amateur sport, but,
as far as I know, have nothing to do with the World Cup (which also has little to
do with sport ...)

http://www.canada.com/findit/lotteries/results.aspx?id=6

Actually, I thought this was a smart move, sort of confirming that BC-49 did
really exist.  However, the parameter is wrong (should be id=4), and, in any case,
there are no current results for either search.

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: This email message, including any attachments, is
intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential and prohibited from
unauthorized disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message, any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error,
please notify the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the