funsec mailing list archives

Re: yeah, right.

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 17:01:33 -0400

Apparently, gathering MAC addresses was no accident.
Combined with location information from the car,
wouldn't that allow tracing the whereabouts of mobile
devices in some cases?

Yes, in theory, very inefficiently, since they don't repeat paths. They
could also run people over with their cars, at least in theory.

It's been reported that the excess collection amounted
to 600 GB over 3 years. To put this in perspective, I
probably wouldn't notice if I retained 60 GB of
unnecessary personal email (such as spam) during
that time period. 8-/

Some more perspective: I could buy a 750GB drive for $40. I suspect
600GB of storage costs Google considerably less. Why should they notice
this much extra data?

I'm sure what was important to them is that the code they lifted from
some other project was gathering what they wanted and they just
overlooked the fact that it was gathering other things. Why screw with
the code and possibly break it?

LJS