funsec mailing list archives

Re: Facebook account security

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 12:23:29 -0800

Date sent:              Thu, 13 May 2010 21:42:15 -0800
From:                   "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>

http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=389991097130

OK, I've just had yet another "friend" request, so I decided to log on to Facebook
and deal with it.

Lo and behold, this "security" option isn't optional: facebook now seems to
demand that you "register" your computer.  There does not appear to be any way
to get at your Facebook account otherwise.

Oh, and I had a look at the Privacy settings, which, the other day, weren't
settable.  They were today, and I tightened them up, some (even though I never
have put a lot of info on Facebook), and came across an interesting one, dealing
with applications.  Not what applications can know about me (that still seems to
be the default "everybloodything," and is not settable), but what information is
made available about me when one of my "friends" uses an application:

"When your friend visits a Facebook-enhanced application or website, they may
want to share certain information to make the experience more social. For
example, a greeting card application may use your birthday information to
prompt your friend to send a card."

So, anybody who is a "friend" with me, and who is stupid enough (despite all I tell
them) to use any application on Facebook *OR ON ANOTHER SITE THAT HAS
A DEAL WITH FACEBOOK* gets to access *my* info?

(I have unchecked everything ...)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not
doing anything very innovative.                        - Woody Allen
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade