funsec mailing list archives

Re: anybody here from facebook?

From: Wim Lewis <wiml () hhhh org>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 08:14:21 -0700

On May 4, 2010, at 12:26 AM, Paul Vixie wrote:
they've become an opt-out spammer.  i'm blackholing them rather
than clicking on their unsubscribe link.  anybody from facebook
want to meet up for drinks over this matter?

It's annoying, but is it spam? After all, in theory each of those
messages is sent by a human action, they're not really bulk. Somebody
who might plausibly have sent you normal email instead gave your
email address to Facebook and asked them to contact you, and that
message was the result. Granted, the web form was probably titled
"search for friends!" rather than "annoy anyone you've ever
corresponded with!", but whatever. (Disclaimer: I don't do Facebook,
so maybe I have the wrong idea about what actions trigger those
emails.) In the best light, Facebook is no worse than any public
email provider like gmail or yahoo. In a bad light, I'm not sure
they're any worse than an open relay or misconfigured web form.