funsec mailing list archives

Re: Miller, Pwn2Own's winner tells Apple, Microsoft to find their own bugs

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:54:51 -0700

Larry Seltzer wrote:
First if Microsoft patches include unrelated silent patches then I
would expect, as you say, people would diff the files and examine the
updates to see what it is they are changing

They do and they do. Ask Halvar about reversing and finding silent
patches. Former Microsoft people have also confirmed that they have
fixed "in-house"-discovered problems.

and develop POCs for
them.

Why develop POCs for patched bugs? "They" already have working exploits
for vulns fixed in the same patch to get the unpatched boxes.

I don't ever recall hearing of an exploit for a bug in Windows
that turned out to have been silently patched.

I've seen people claim numerous times on mailing lists over the years
that MS finally fixed the vuln they were using. Check with Dave Aitel.

                                        BB