funsec mailing list archives

Doesn't Verizon use computers?

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:01:51 -0500

I recently called the number at Verizon that will enable one to get one's
number added to the Verizon do-not-call list.  And sure enough, it
used caller-id to pick the number I was calling from and then asked
for confirmation that this is the number it should add to the do-not-call
list -- which I provided, of course.

At which point the recorded voice said: "Your number will be added to
the do-not-call list within the next 30 days."

Does it take that long for it to be chiselled in Demotic onto a granite
boulder, which is then transported by pack mule across frozen tundra,
over baking sands, and through impenetrable jungle until it reaches Louie
the Shark, who will then turn his attention away from the third race at
Pimlico, put down his fine Cuban cigar, and slowly key it in using the
two-finger typing method?

(I note with interest that getting one's number *added* to Verizon's
marketing lists requires no delay at all.)

---Rsk