funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft's Charney Suggests 'Net Tax to Clean Computers

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 16:44:37 -0500

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 11:59:34PM -0800, Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
But wait, aren't we all already paying the "Microsoft Tax" on every
computer we buy from a major OEM, whether it has Windows or not?

We're also paying the Microsoft tax with our servers: to at least five
or six 9's, zombie-sourced spam fingerprints as originating on Windows.
Toss in ssh brute-force attempts, viruses, spyware, ftp brute-force
attempts, http exploit attempts, etc., and we all end up paying for
their incompetence.

And that's why I use:

        http://use.perl.org/~merlyn/journal/17094

and variants wherever I can.