funsec mailing list archives

Re: FAA suspends controller, supervisor after boy directs flights from JFK tower

From: "Justin Scott" <admin () dtdns com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 22:15:40 -0500

Yep, and the kids were doing only 'cleared for takeoff'
and 'contact departure'.  The dad was handling more
critical communications.

True, but I can imagine that coaching his kid on what to say next wasn't
exactly allowing him to have his full attention focused where it should have
been.  It could have distracted other controllers as well which may have
caused problems.  Fortunately there was not an incident in this case.  Yes,
the pilots are responsible for controlling their own aircraft, but the
airspace is very busy and requires the controllers to act as another pair of
eyes and ears to make sure everything is flowing smoothly.  The pilots
cannot always see each other very well and rely on the controllers to give
clear instructions.  I'm a pilot myself (just a private pilot), and I've
seen first-hand the chaos that a distracted or overworked controller can
cause in their airspace.

-Justin