funsec mailing list archives

Re: Here We Go Again: Internet 'Drivers Licenses'

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:10:36 -0500

I'd love to see this put in place for corporations:

    ... He also called for a "driver's license" for internet users.
    "If you want to drive a car you have to have a license to say
    that you are capable of driving a car, the car has to pass a
    test to say it is fit to drive and you have to have insurance."

Consider the case of PayChoice, a New Jersey (US) company which
handles payroll, issues debit cards on paydays, etc. Three data
breaches in recent history, with two in one month [1]. They have
clearly demonstrated an *inability* to protect data. Its synonymous
with driving drunk on the information super highway. Folks like
PayChoice should lose their ability to use computers.

Fortunately for the rest of the computing world, PayChoice suffered
'sophisticated attacks' while others presumably suffered
unsophisticated attacks. And good news for those who had their PII
swiped: there was no indication that its been used.

[1] "PayChoice Suffers Another Data Breach"
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/10/paychoice_suffers_another_data.html