funsec mailing list archives

Re: fog of cyberwar

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 07:04:24 -0500

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 02:18:50AM +0200, Gadi Evron wrote:
On 1/23/10 11:54 PM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
If what they're doing was going to work, it would have worked by now.

It has worked. Microsoft has made incredible efforts and their code is
extremely professional. That does not mean the policy is right.

And yet their systems are compromised by the tens of thousands (or more)
on a daily basis, with not the slightest sign that the trend will slow or
reverse.  I've begun to wonder whether the only reason still more aren't
compromised is that [some] attackers/abusers already have an embarrassment
of riches and just can't be bothered.

I don't care about their efforts, per se.  I don't care about their
professional code, per se.  I care about their results in the field...and
their results are hideous, and continuing to get worse -- despite ever
more extensive and sophisticated bandaids.

---Rsk