funsec mailing list archives

Re: Wired: Pentagon Searches for 'Digital DNA' to Identify Hackers

From: "r.b." <r.b.hicks () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:44:35 +0100

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 20:18, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &
Date sent:              Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:24:16 +0100
From:                   "r.b." <r.b.hicks () gmail com>

This makes great copy but it doesn't sound like they've heard about,
or bothered to take into consideration:

JITs
Automated code generation
Optimizers

Having dealt with linguistic forensics for decades, I can assure you that it is
possible to identify authors and sources despite editors, publishers, and even
mangling from electronic communications systems.  There are a huge number of
characteristics that can be used to identify people: my wife (who used to be a
secretary) even found characteristics "line lengths" in stuff people wrote.

No argument at all with regard to human language.

When I got into software forensics, I found a wealth of identifiers there, too.  Yes,
the utilities and tools muddy some issues, but they turn out to create identifiers
themselves, and the specific utilities and options used are also identifiers.

Do you mean digital documents and information in general, or actual binaries?

What I'm getting at is that with compilation and the optimization
voodoo performed by the tool chain tends to heavily modify an
information. Add to that the that the "interesting" code may only be a
small portion of to whole amount and the fact that it might be further
obfuscated it doesn't seem realistic to me that there would be enough
unique info to do this in any reliable sense.

Or a slipperier issue:

Just because someone wrote the code doesn't mean they launched the attack.

True.  That's what court cases are for.

Yeah, but it'dbe a nightmare issuing subpoenas for the guy who made a
virus kit and the ten gazillion little jerks that used it.

This idea has been hyped before without result. I don't expect that to
change any time soon.

Unfortunately, probably correct.  There is a great deal of research out there, and
wonderful stuff it is.  But it does require testing and verification, and some money
to put it all together.  Empire building, political infighting, and corporate
marketing of inferior products/services will doubtless ensure that it never gets used
properly.

Indeed.

-r

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.
                                                         - Jay Leno
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade