funsec mailing list archives

Re: Facebook Image Privacy

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:17:40 -0500

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 23:12:17 +0100, Dan Kaminsky said:

I can quantify this with the rate of change of complexity of a system.

Well, if you're talking *rate* of change...

 If you add one kilobyte of complexity to Windows (consuming literally
8192 bits extra space on the DVD), you have not done much to the
difficulty of breaking Windows.  If you add one kilobyte of complexity
to an RSA key (literally, adding another 4096 bits to p and q
respectively), you most assuredly have done much to to the difficulty
of breaking this particular RSA key.

Adding 8K to the acres of bits of already on the DVD is proportionally smaller
than adding even 1 bit to a 4096-bit RSA key.

And I'll submit the notion that if it's the *right* 8192 bits, it can add
immensely to the difficulty.  I'd have to go back and check, but the stack
address randomization bits added to the Linux kernel were actually quite
tiny, but added a lot to the difficulty.