funsec mailing list archives

New phishing tool - scotch tape?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:06:11 -0800

Apparently German credit card transactions have hit a glitch over one of the
(seemingly many) Y2K+10 bugs.

However, what I found most interesting was that the new chip cards seem to have
a fail safe mode.  If they can't read the chip, they happily drop back to swipe card
mode.  According to
http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/0,1518,670433,00.html
(sorry, I couldn't find an English translation), retailers are now keeping a roll of
tape beside the cash registers in order to hack the cards so that they work properly

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
                                                      - Edward Abbey
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade