funsec mailing list archives

Re: simple question

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 20:46:24 -0800

I used unconverted assignments on Digital Research f77 under CCP/M 3.1d
on iAPx 286 chipsets with regularity, and effect, in the early '80s.

And after that, I was thankful to never use Fortran again.

The bigger point is that the code is garbage, the data not much better
(at least according to the comments, because we can't see the data), and
the researchers have clearly been actively hiding the facts from public
view.

It's high time for the Open Source and Free Software ethos to dominate
something on which so much of the future of mankind rests.

I, for one, donated lots of CPU time to the BBC climate modeling BOINC
project. I think the idea that there isn't enough computing, never mind
brain, power out there to do this right is complete bunk.

Let the science produce the result it will, whatever that may be, but
let it at least be proper science, with the best current practices in
all relevant fields being applied. Then, after the climate models are as
near to unimpeachable as can be (and models can do pretty well, as the
auto makers have shown), we can have the debate about the costs of
various courses of action relative to their benefits and risks.

Until we have a model that would pass muster for simulating the
Coefficient of Drag of an automobile (and as far as I can see the CRU
climate model doesn't), how can we base any major public policy
decisions on it?