funsec mailing list archives

Re: Resources on political thinking

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:34:38 +0000 (GMT)

Look at "The thick of it".

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Martin Tomasek wrote:

Gadi Evron wrote:
What is your favorite reference on the subject? Or a situation you
encountered which you found fascinating?

Resources:

1. Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister

The best.

7. George Orwell

George Orwell's political satire is not about big brother, that is just
a theme in his wonderful book 1984, which isn't about big brother, either.

Another interesting author is James Burnham,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Burnham. He was hated and plagiarized
by Orwell.

10. Fun to watch:

Satirical series from creators of southpark:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That's_My_Bush!
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That%27s_My_Bush%21>

11. Edward L. Bernays on propaganda and public relations

Propaganda
http://www.archive.org/details/Propaganda_600

Very good book from the father of PR. I would recommend it too.

I'm reading autobiography of Hjalmar Horace Greeley Schacht, Confessions
of the Old Wizard. So far so good. He was one of important politicians
of Weimar republic and then of Hitler's Germany. He was put into
concentration camp in (AFAIK) 1944, then in 1945 he went before Nurnberg
tribunal, allies confiscated his property etc..

There was also interesting figure of German SDP on the very beginning of
20th century: Alexander Izrael (Parvus) Helphand. The man who talked
German government into providing finance for Lenin and his revolution.
He was completely lost in history, until 1990s.