funsec mailing list archives

OnStar and law enforcement (was: Wondering)

From: "Young, Keith" <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:21:04 -0400

It doesn't have to be a "trusted admin" -- putting my "evil" cap on,
it
could certainly be someone who impersonates a "trusted admin" or
"interested party".

Right.  So now we have an existence proof that OnStar has this
capability,
and the problem reduces to figuring out how to exploit it.

I wonder if anyone there has considered the consequences that would
ensue should someone penetrate their security and send out the signal
to shut them *all* down.

This type of capability with OnStar (and the company's willingness to
work with law enforcement) is nothing new:
        http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/02/0415209

Question: Is this capability in YOUR cell phone? How do you know? What
protections does your cell have to prevent someone from penetrating its
security?

--Keith

Keith Young, Security Official
Department of Technology Services