funsec mailing list archives

Re: When are we going to start profiling?

From: Jim Pointer <jfpointer () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:48:37 -0600

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:33:47 -0500
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Subject: Re: [funsec] funsec Digest, Vol 52, Issue 65
To: Jim Pointer <jfpointer () gmail com>
Cc: funsec () linuxbox org

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:38:08 CST, Jim Pointer said:
Yeah, it's pretty worrisome that there are people out there who
believe in limited government and individual rights.  Scary.

<series of strawmen snipped for brevity>

Scream "First Amendment" all you want - with rights come responsibilities,
which includes the recognition that if you intentionally rile up the crazies
out there, you have some moral culpability if they act on it.

You're seriously OK with all this?

I'm perfectly OK with limited government and individual rights, yes.
As to moral culpability as it relates to free speech, is a security
researcher who publishes a vulnerability responsible for any and all
future malware that exploits that vulnerability?  And no, it's not my
intent to compare consequences--merely the notion of
responsibility--based on your question.

(And FWIW, I'm also OK with the Kimber discount!)

--
Jim Pointer
Kansas City, MO