funsec mailing list archives

Re: FBI: More Guns == Less Crime

From: Imri Goldberg <lorgandon () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 20:45:31 +0200

Most Israeli soldiers are issued guns during basic training, but during
service all "jobnicks" (non-fighters and those not in forward bases) do not
carry weapons. Until recently all officers had to carry a weapon as well,
but that rule was taken down a few years ago.

Since:
1. Israeli soldiers are free to use public transportation,
2. soldiers (fighters) have short leaves every week or three at the most,
3. jobnicks get back home every day and
4. there is mandatory conscription for most Israelis,

you'll be seeing many soldiers on the streets at any given time. Many of
them carrying weapons.
My cousin (from the US, visiting Israel) just sms-ed me from the train,
telling me that a soldier in front of him had his weapon directed at him
because he was slouching. He thought it would make a funny picture.

(Note: it's Saturday night. He's either returning or getting back from base.
Any soldier would be slouching :)

Cheers,
Imri