funsec mailing list archives

Coke 'Sorry' for F-Bomb Blunder on Web Site

From: "Kane Lightowler" <Kane.Lightowler () imperva com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 02:53:38 +0200

Coke 'Sorry' for F-Bomb Blunder on Web Site

When Alistair Beswick logged into the Coke Zone
<http://www.cokezone.co.uk/home/index.jsp>  rewards Web site in the
U.K., he got an obscene security code randomly generated by the site,
The Sun
<http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2767666/Coke-sorry-for-swear-
blunder.html>  reported.

Coke Zone, which randomly generates six-character security codes, asked
Beswick to enter "U F * * K R" to enter to claim his reward points, the
paper said.

Operated by Coca-Cola Great Britain
<http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/default.html> , the Coke Zone site allows
British customers to redeem coupons for gifts including iPods, movie
tickets and Domino's Pizza
<http://www.dominos.com/home/index.jsp?utm_source=urltracking&utm_medium
=redirect&utm_term=dominospizza_com&utm_campaign=urltracking>
discounts.

"I couldn't believe my eyes when that popped up," Beswick, a 26-year-old
warehouse manager, told the paper. "I understand it was randomly
generated, but you'd think Coke would have some measures in place to
stop four-letter words like that appearing."

Coca-Cola apologized to Beswick and promised immediate action to prevent
it from happening again, the Sun reported.

"We apologize for any offense caused to the individual and thank them
for bringing this to our attention," a spokesman for Coca-Cola told the
Sun
<http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2767666/Coke-sorry-for-swear-
blunder.html> . "Unfortunately this has occurred due to an automated
selection of random letters but we are taking immediate action to ensure
this will not happen again."

Coca-Cola's
<http://www.coca-cola.com/template1/index.jsp?locale=en_US&bw=lo>
American public relations department told Slashfood they were looking
into the matter.