funsec mailing list archives

Re: No AV? Shock, horror!

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:50:39 +1300

Blanchard_Michael () emc com to Dan Kaminsky:

Is there a source of data showing 10,000 machines with AV are less
likely to be infected than 10,000 machines without?

 I'm sure there is, ...

I'm not so sure there is -- in fact, I'm fairly sure there is no such
study.

... but I would have to say that machine platform
would play a major factor for infection along with user.

If you treat "infction" as a purely binary state, then maybe not so
much...

If you count each instance of "different" malware per machine, then
probably so...

  If we're talking 10,000 windows home users without A/V, VS. 10,000
Windows home users with AV, I'd say for certain that those without
are more likely to become infected.  Would be interesting to see a
formal study on this though....

As I said, the results are much less certain depending on how you
define "infected".

  For *nix platforms there is a greater chance of having a file that
is infected stored on it waiting for a vulnerable box to grab it and
run it than the *nix box itself getting infected.

But if we add "owned" to the things we count as "infected"...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald