funsec mailing list archives

Spamhaus for Extra Mail Server Security

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 02:42:41 +0300

Here's something I recently wrote, which I'd like to share with you.

Spamhaus For Extra Mail Server Security

Posted by Gadi Evron, Sep 10, 2009 04:26 PM

Spamhaus, the anti-spam organization, provides a reliable list of
compromised computers -- bots -- used to send spam. This list can be
used as an extra layer of security for your email server, among other
purposes.

By filtering with this blacklist, millions of mail servers worldwide
manage to stay operational. At the same time, email remains a viable
communication medium in spite of the load spam emails put on the
infrastructure.

There's never a good time to discover you can't use email, especially
while flying around the world on business. This recently happened to me;
I was unable to send email, and the error message baffled me. It claimed
my IP address was on the Spamhaus ZEN blacklist.

Blacklisting is supposed to be enabled only for other servers trying to
connect to mine, so why was the server blocking me, a user, when I
authenticated and tried to email?

Turns out the problem was due to a configuration error. But I liked it;
the bug became a feature.

Because I'm among very few users using this server, the inconvenience
was negligible. If I am willing to not email while connecting via
insecure networks, then I gain an extra layer of security.

Millions of bot-infected computers are far less likely to be successful
in compromising the server because they can't access much of its
functionality. Given that most Internet attacks are performed via bots,
I feel this raises the security level of the server at the price of
being slightly inconvenienced when on the road.

I cannot IP filter an SMTP server to be available only from certain
locations -- as if I even wanted to limit myself in such a way. By its
very nature as a public service, it needs to be available to the world
if I am to receive email from others. And this extra security helps
increase my assurance level.

This solution won't work for everybody. Perhaps you are not willing to
inconvenience yourself, or perhaps you use a busier server and can't
decide on such a measure for the other users. But it works for me.

Of course, there are many varied solutions for secure email. This
bug-become-feature just made mine better.