funsec mailing list archives

Re: ruling: liability for providers who don't act on clients' illegal activities?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 03:49:50 -0400

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 23:14:48 PDT, Rob Thompson said:

this as sheer laziness and quite frankly it's rather pathetic.  Passing
the buck isn't okay.  We count on the schools to raise our kids and the
ISP to police the interwebs.  Bullshit!

It may come as a surprise to you - but a large number of people *do* count
on the schools to do a large part of the educating and socializing of the young
ones. There's an awful amount of stuff that kids learn in school that parents
are *not* in a good position to teach - everything from Egyptian history to how
to play well with others on a softball team.  Might want to pick a better
analogy - the days when we could all homeschool our kids are *long* gone, if
they ever existed at all...)

For that matter, our entire economic system only works because of passing the
buck - every time you use a credit card, or write a check, you're passing the
buck to somebody else.  And even using cash rather than bickering and bartering
how many goats that pair of shoes is worth is passing the buck... ;)

Bottom line - unless you live off the grid, in a house you built with your
own two hands using tools you manufactured yourself and material you gathered
yourself, "passing the buck isn't okay" is just a tad hypocritical...