funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [ISN] Juniper Networks Gags "ATM Jackpot" Researcher

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 15:54:24 -0400

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:26:59PM -0700, Paul Ferguson wrote:

Michael Lynn flashback...

On that note, this article, whose money quote is dead-on:

        "We made ourselves stupid and now we must pay."

---Rsk

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:25:00 -0400
Subject: [Infowarrior] - DMCA endangering American security

The DMCA is endangering American security
Lockdown with Angela Gunn

Why government cybersecurity's a joke as long as security research is
hamstrung.

By Angela Gunn | Published June 11, 2009, 6:41 PM

http://www.betanews.com/article/The-DMCA-is-endangering-American-security/1244758683

I've had the the government's 60-day Cyberspace Policy Review sitting
on my desk for many days now, dutifully highlighted and marked up with
notes about how this bit could turn out interesting and that section
looks a lot like what we've previous heard from DC about cybersecurity
and that passage over there appears to have been lifted from the
questionable financial-loss statistics one hears from the RIAA and BSA
and MPAA and such. And I see one gigantic self-inflicted wound that I
fear the current administration will ignore like the last two have --
ignored it since 1998, in fact.

Lockdown with Angela GunnThe cybersecurity review says we need to
improve academic and industry collaboration on cybersecurity and other
technology issues. It also states we should "expand university
curricula; and set the conditions to create a competent workforce for
the digital age."

What the cybersecurity review should have said is, "We are raising a
nation of timid technophobes who mistake using MyTwitFace for being a
geek. Meanwhile, we have comprehensively, at every educational level,
stripped away useful teaching tools and criminalized modes of research
and inquiry in the name of copyright and liability laws, and sooner
rather than later we are going to reap the whirlwind."

Or, putting it simply: We made ourselves stupid and now we must pay.

Since the rise of the Information Age, America has convinced itself
that safety is a better choice than knowledge, and that anyone who
doesn't make safety a priority over knowledge is Dangerous And Up To
No Good. The 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which is entering
its twelfth year of chilling security research, acts in direct
opposition to the government's alleged goal of improving American
cybersecurity by criminalizing the research and inquiry that make
security products, and thus security, stronger.

And not only have we attained this vulnerable position step by step,
special-interest groups such as liability lawyers and the
entertainment industry -- not to mention the computer industry itself
-- have paved the path for us, making us easily fleeced, easily
frightened, and easily led.

We'll start with the little ones. I'm willing to bet that you, as a
young geek, had a certain amount of curiosity about science. Did you
own a chemistry set? Do you remember some of the chemicals that
shipped in it, some of the reactions you could test? Enjoy your
memories of, as Oliver Sacks put it in Uncle Tungsten, "stinks and
bangs." As Steve Silberman has written about so effectively in Wired,
legislators and law enforcement now send a loud-and-clear message that
science is something best left to the professionals. As geekish youth
will discover over and over, the claim that "someone could get hurt!"
is the way that people who are unnerved by smart people make sure that
no one actually gets smart.

Head for the schools -- the elementary schools, even. The
entertainment industry hasn't been as successful as it would like in
eliminating fair use for educational purposes. But it has managed to
get its point of view into the classroom starting in third grade with
Music Rules, which "informs students about the laws of copyright and
the risks of online file-sharing." Parents are cautioned against the
dangers of "songlifting" (the RIAA's preferred new term for
downloading and/or ripping) and the program handouts conflate music
downloading with exposure to online predators. The "someone could get
hurt" motif continues, with the introduction of the "and you'll be a
criminal if you try it" theme.

Speaking of online predators, move to the higher grades. We don't
really like teenagers in America if they're not Miley Cyrus or the
Jonas Brothers (so clean-cut, such radio-friendly unit shifters!), so
despite multiple studies indicating that most teens know enough to
ignore online weirdos and most teens are smart enough not to go a-
sexting and most teens can deal with "cyberbullying," social
networking and mobile phones are as reliably panic-inducing in the
mainstream media as rock-and-roll and long hair were back in the day.
Again, "someone could get hurt" (especially teenaged girls, whose
interest in tech when they could be interested in makeup and clothes
is already unseemly and suspicious); but teenagers being generally
scary, we're equally convinced that they're out to get each other.

Meanwhile, we're at the age when the hacker gene expresses.
Criminalizing young men (and women) who hack is old fare, documented
as far back as Cap'n Crunch and Joe Engressia and a couple of Steves
(Jobs and Wozniak), and where social pressures didn't push status-
conscious kids away from exploring computers, legal pressures often
did. Ask anyone who attended 2600 meetups back in the day -- even
those meetups destined for nothing more subversive than a really bad
movie -- what percentage of "attendees" were cops hoping to get lucky.

Onward to the world -- to college and adult lives. Those who still
have the geek fever by now -- and US university enrollment rates in
science and computer science curricula tell us it's not very many
these days -- may hope to connect with worthwhile research projects
and really dig into what makes systems tick. And here's where the DMCA
works its wonders for security researchers (and I mean real security
researchers, not hopeful political appointees putting together a 60-
day job application) by chilling research and collaboration.

Ask Ed Felten about his research on flaws in e-voting machines.

Ask Seth Finkelstein about his research on censorware.

Ask J. Alex Haldeman about the Sony-BMG rootkit. For that matter, ask
the researchers who'd previously requested an exemption to the DMCA to
examine that rootkit, a request denied by the Copyright Office. (I
find, by the way, no evidence in the Cybersecurity Policy Review that
Melissa Hathaway or any of her minions spoke to the Copyright Office
to ask who the hell they think they are to make security decisions. I
wish somebody would.)

Ask Dmitry Sklyarov about that five-month detention, and getting
arrested at DEFCON.

Ask Luigi Auriemma about informing GameSpy of vulnerabilities and
getting no answer but a DMCA cease-and-desist. (Apparently GameSpy's
lawyers were as excellent as their coders, since Mr. Auriemma lives in
Italy and had no intention of coming to the US to be prosecuted, but
oh well.)

Ask Eric Corley about simply attempting to publish the DeCSS software
code -- in a printed magazine -- in 2600.

Ask former cybersecurity chief Richard Clarke how much traction he got
after he told a Boston newspaper that the DMCA needed rethinking,
because "I think a lot of people didn't realize that it would have
this potential chilling effect on vulnerability research." (Hint: He
was out of government in 2003.) Want to dig into a software program
the way we used to dig into a car engine or an unexplored continent?
For shame; you're obviously attempting to steal something. In the wake
of 9/11 copyright holders and the law-enforcement folk who do their
work have managed to turn the "steal something" gripe into "ZOMG
TERRORISTS!," but otherwise, we're in the second decade of
intellectual curiosity being a pre-crime condition. Meanwhile... need
I say more than "China" and "India?"

The new administration doesn't need to plead for better cybersecurity
education for the masses; in fact, considering what's passing for
"education" on that front these days I'd prefer that education stuck
with the basics -- reading, writing, arithmetic, and blowing stuff up
with chemistry sets that actually teach something besides "lawyers
want to ruin your fun." It needs to put muscle behind the idea of
"expanding academic curricula," re-establishing the importance of the
freedom to conduct research and to communicate the results without
fear of hearing from lawyers for a company that simply doesn't want
anyone to know they're shipping vulnerable products. The DMCA is
deeply dishonest legislation, and -- as it continues to undermine
security research -- deeply dangerous to our future.