funsec mailing list archives

Re: OT: CDC recommends male circumcision as very effective to fight HIV (AIDS)

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:36:23 -0800

+Date sent:             Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:03:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:                   chris () blask org

o  What is the theory about circumcision reducing AIDS?

Circumcision has long been known to be effective in reducing the occurrence of all
sorts of all sorts of genital infections.  (Some say that this is balanced by the risks
associated with the operation itself.  I'm not going to join the "for or against"
debate, other than to say that, in my days working in a hospital, I had to "special"
a patient who had had to have a circumcision late in life due to infections, and it
wasn't fun.)  I believe the general theory is that the flexing and retraction of the
foreskin (even when sexual activity is not involved) increases microscopic tears
and lesions, and the fold of the foreskin over the glans provides a catchment area
for infective or necrotic material.

o  Why is it "only in high-risk populations" and not in the general population?

In low risk populations the incidence of AIDS is low enough that somebody could
probably make a statistical case for the preventive properties of holding an
unpeeled carrot between your toes.  (Somebody else could probably make a
statistical case indicating the dangers of said carrots.)

Is it possible that
social factors associated with parents who circumcise is the cause of
differences among high-risk populations?

Possible, but I believe the study adjusted for that kind of factor.  I think that at
least some of the study looked at those who had circumcision in their teens and
twenties *as* a preventive measure.

I have to admit, though, that
my bias is to believe the reason is the same as the ritual of female genital
mutilation: to decrease sexual pleasure for the purpose of societal control.

I'm really not sure what you mean by that, but I've got the feeling that somebody
is doing it wrong.

(For various values of "it.")

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what
will be done; there is nothing new under the sun.  Is there a
thing of which it is said, `See, this is new'?  It has already
been, in the ages long before us.                Ecclesiastes 1:9,10
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored