funsec mailing list archives

Re: Love in the time of audits

From: Steve Pirk <orion () pirk com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 12:23:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah wrote:
billion.  On one occasion in 2004, the SEC investigator in the Office of
Compliance Inspections and Examinations warned supervisors that the
perpetrator’s paperwork and electronic data were full of irregularities. She took
her concerns to her supervisor, who was working under the assistant director of
the department. The assistant director, who is no longer with the SEC, later
married the perpetrator’s niece. The investigator’s claims turned out to be
consistent with the case the Justice Department eventually brought against the
perpetrator. When the investigator brought her concerns to her supervisor,
however, he directed her to concentrate on an investigation of mutual funds.

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2009/07/02/Five-SEC-investigations-
missed-Madoff/UPI-51201246538744/

I am waiting for the other shoes to drop as this story unfolds. I hope it gets good coverage on npr or the bbc. This scheme involved a lot more people than we think I bet...
--
steve